Monday 8 December 2008

Damsel in Distress

The really embarrassing things always happen at busy times when there are LOTS and LOTS of people about. I was struggling to get up the stairs at Glasgow Central Station, carrying a small suitcase, handbag and large shopping bag when I tripped! Of course, according to Sods Law , there were trillions of people about (well....,perhaps ten!), I managed to put my hands down on the steps to stop my face being re-arranged, and dropped the bags, and a very kind young gentleman picked them up and inquired "are you alright?"
!
Normally people walk over or around you - it is the Christmas Shopping season of course, so I was very surprised and cheered by this incident.
Really embarrassing incident number two !
Driving the kids to school (running late, of course) I turn up this awful wee Victorian road with passing places (passing places in 21st century roads, I ask you!), when I have to stop short to let oncoming traffic pass. I hit the kerb and hear this awful noise. Now there is nowhere to stop - not to change a tyre anyway - until I get to the road near the school - everyone stares at disbelief at this mad woman crawling along with a flat tyre, UP roads , because of course Gourock is full of hills! And I have a 3 inch tear in my tyre.
C'est la vie
I manage to stop somewhere near the school, and a very kind Dad, stops his car at mine to ask if I have a spare tyre, and would I like if he changed it for me.
Saved!
Then , just as I am about to roll the car down the hill to a more appropriate place for changing a tyre - another kind Dad asks if I'd like a hand to change it!
This is MONDAY MORNING! These people are dropping of kids at school and then hurrying to work. I am quite simply stunned! I decline saying I already have help, but thank you very much indeed .
So kind Dad number one changes the tyre, in his suit, and I'm praying that it won't get dirty, and why do I have stupid alloy wheel covers that are a b*gger to get off, and do I have wet wipes for hands......
Drinking my LARGE coffee later, after one new tyre at a cost of £60, I realise that the world is actually a very good place to be , even when horrible things happen.
My very kind fellow Raveller, tattie-bogle, sent me her duplicate copy of the Simply Knitting Diary , and in the package was some lovely little Burt Bees products. So in the spirit of Paying Forward, I thought I'd give away some lovely sock yarn.
The person who has the closest answer wins........
DS1 Advent Calendar has the Christmas story over 24 days - what part do you think is shown on the 12th December ?
If you need help - go look on Wikipedia - and try and work out how they spread the telling of this over 24 days (very short bursts each day!)
Give your answer on the comments - if you can't comment (blogger acts up sometimes), email me at mhairidotgilchristatbtinternetdotcom , I'll contact the winner on the 13th December, and mail the yarn .
Have fun!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What lovely stories Mhairi. I'm having a fairly tough time myself at the moment so it was just perfect to hear that sometimes, good things happen too :0)

Kathleen said...

Little donkey, little donkey, on the dusty road.
Gotta keep on plodding onwards with your precious load.

No, really, that's my guess, not just a burst from a seasonal ditty. x K

tandemsandy said...

knock knock, no room at the Inn....

just a quick guess. Oh what a Monday for you and it is lovely when people just help no matter their circumstances...

Flavaknits said...

Okay Guys, three of you commented, two of you for the quiz. Kathleen, you were the closest, it was the sheep! hehehe it is a knitting blog! However, I have two runner up prizes too - details to be revealed!