Tuesday 7 October 2008

Spinning Yarn

Every night when we put DS2 to bed , he gives us a list of things NOT to do - don't make a noise on the stair , don't close his bedroom door, don't make a noise in the kitchen, don't watch the TV, AND DON'T SPIN MUMMY!
The comprehensive list he gives us , is to ensure he has sufficient peace and quiet until he falls asleep! ( By which point in time Mummy and Daddy have fallen asleep...)
Of course two minutes after barking out these instructions he is asleep , and Daddy watches TV and Mummy spins.
In true Blue Peter style - here is some I made earlier !
The pale orange is spun from Dyed Mohair Tops, from Mobair who visited the SECC Craft Fair about two years ago. My good pal Karen helped me gently part the tight fibres into flat squares, which made it easier to part into "spin-able" strips. I think this Mohair was probably intended for Felting with pins, but it has spun up well (for me anyway!)
The black yarn to the left is spun from Wensleydale Longwool tops - it is very lustrous and slippy, but so soft. The yarn to the right is the plied BFL from the Natural Dye Studio. And the knitting at the back ?
Here is a close up, I finally chose a pattern for my New Lanark Chunky, can you tell what it is ?
I wasn't knitting it at Tramway Knits on Sunday, but I did take it in for a "Show and Tell". There were two new members on Sunday, Irene and Joy. I think it was Irene who was knitting the lovely Cushion cover from one of the Knitting magazines, it had four squares with a flower in each and the back had stripes. Very challenging. Joy was being taught to crochet by our resident expert Ali , and she learned quickly. Ali had brought in her Innocent Bottle Hats, there were so cute and once I find the lead for my camera I will download the picture.
Thea had finally finished her shawl and managed to block it by pinning it to the wall - she has photographic evidence to prove it! Maggie was knitting a very lovely short-sleeved cardi pattern from the Summer Interweave Knits , with her Ebay bargain yarn - gorgeous stuff it was too. Alice had finally finished her KSH sweater and there is only one word for it, WOW! Such a gorgeous shade of deep purple and so soft - Ali had her eyes on it but went away empty handed!
Almost forgot - Thea's shawl is now famous after featuring on STV's Five Thirty show - Vicky who works for STV , filmed the Tuesday Night group at the Tron Theatre Cafe and our Kathleen had a star role , along with Thea, Lynette and Elaine. Have a wee look here ! ( Its 4mins and 36 secs into the video after the book thingy .) I think I also spied Alice , Paula and Catherine too!
And lastly, here is gratuitous picture of DS2 - he doesn't like me to knit anything for him , so technically his picture shouldn't be on my knitting blog (he's ignoring this!), but I live in hope!

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Aww, shucks!

Why doesn't he like you spinning? Does it make a sound he doesn't like? Or does he just think you should be sitting up pining for him? :-)
Your handspun looks really good. x K

Linn said...

thank you for the link to the show, it was great being able to see it , since i missed it by half and hour when it was on! love lthe new lanark too by the way! lovely colour!

TangledFrog said...

What yummy handspun! I'm thinking the New Lanark Chunky may be the Drake's Bay jacket? And I think the colour may be Brambleberry? (...which is my absolute fav!)