Wednesday 10 February 2010

A Little Marmalade

The beginning of the year is the traditional time for making marmalade among the ladies of the WI (Womens' Institute) or WR (Womens' Rural). Oranges in season from Seville are the favourite of (Saint) Delia Smith , and are recommended in her cookbooks .
I have never tried to make marmalade (yet) , but have started to knit up some...... Kidsilk haze in colourway Marmalade , pattern Marianne by Sharon Millar from Rowan Magazine 37 . The pattern is not too clear , so I have had to pull back , write up some notes and a chart of sorts and start again , but I love how it is looking .
I am beginning to "get" the lace pattern from looking at the design as I knit it up , something I am not too good at usually! The colour of the yarn seems paler her than on my iphoto , not sure why , but it is a strong orange shade .
As usual I have more than one item on the needles , and just now I am knitting my third pair of monkey socks (the other two were gifted!). The yarn is the Arancaunia sock yarn bought from the lovey Nan at Stitching Time in Hamilton. It is fabulous to knit with and the finished socks are very sturdy (I have another pair in this yarn already) , so I am looking forward to finishing these . They are a simple and quick knit and I would recommend this pattern for a sock beginner looking to branch out into a pattern .
Well the first of the (expected) babies appeared just after Christmas six weeks early , but doing well. A wee girl called Jennifer , and here is a wee dress I knitted up in the Debbie Bliss Rialto 4 ply , which should hopefully fit her soon! This was a lovely knit , the pattern from Ravelry is called Little Sisters Dress and is translated from Norwegian . The pattern sizes right up to a 24 month old Toddler , but I am sure it can be adjusted for bigger children . When it is too short for a dress it can be used as a tunic!
The spinning season is also upon us , and there are classes and meetups at my lys Once a Sheep at least once a month now . So my trusty Ashford Kiwi spinning wheel is back out and spinning up the fibre. Here is my Longwool Wensleydale (the natural colour skein) roving bought at Iknit weekend a couple of years ago, the coloured skein is Blue-faced Leicester and silk , roving from Old Maiden Aunt (Its going to become a hat for my Sisters birthday) .
Isn't it amazing what can be done when the weather is cold and dreich ?
I have also written up a list of items I really want to knit this year , yarn and patterns at the ready. I have also put myself on a yarn diet until I knit at least half of them up!
Better get off the mac and get my needles clicking!

No comments: