Wednesday 7 October 2009

Handspun Handyed yarn for Hands!

Its walk to school week this week , and although the weather has been lovely and sunny , it has also been very cold . It is officially mitten and scarf weather .
After buying Ysolda Teagues Whimsical Little Knits , I was impressed by the Ishbel scarf/shawl and beret , so they are now on the official "knitting queue"! , but I also wanted some mitts that gave a flavour of Ishbel , so to speak.
This year , I want my outdoor accessories to co-ordinate , and with that thought in mind I dug around my stash and found a gorgeous blue bulky handspun and hand-dyed yarn from Old Maiden Aunt . I also found a skein of knitwiches kid mohair and silk in a delphinium blue shade, perfect co-ordination.
But first, I need mitts , fingerless ones , and here they are , a cobbled together pattern, using the vine pattern from Ishbel for the cuff and fingers , with stocking stitch in between .
They are so cosy , and baby Abby took a shine to them today at the flavaknits Wednesday meetup . The colour is inspirational , I just love it .
There were only 24 stitches on the needles to make these mitts , and they only took two days to finish . Perfect Timing .
If only I was quicker with some of my other WIPS!
Now for the Ishbel hat and scarf , not sure what I will start on first . Probably the hat!

1 comment:

Once A Sheep said...

Your mitts are so lovely and cosy, you should write up the pattern for those of us too idle to develop our own!
X