Thursday 1 July 2010

Knit - a - longs............

Summer is the season for Knit - a - longs! It helps us keep up the knitting mojo when it doesn't feel the weather for it!
The Ishbel - a - long went well , and Karen took lots of photo's of the finished shawls and made photo montage - see here
The latest KAL is the Kaya shrug , and top down seamless shrug knit in chunky yarn . Moira found the pattern and some lovely yarn and was the inspiration for the rest of us . Karen had just ordered in some lovely alpaca/merino/silk/ chunky yarn so some of us took up the challenge. I have just the final ribbing to do on the sleeves , and I kept mine especially cropped as I like that look .
However , tonight some of us will cast-on for the Toe-up sock KAL , using one of the variety of toe-up cast-on methods . Personally I am favouring the Turkish method , but Judy's magic cast-on does give a tighter finish so I am still undecided .
One thing I am decided on though is the pattern and yarn , I will be doing the Brainless pattern with my Hulk yarn! Brainless is another Yarnissima pattern , my friend Irene has already done another Yarnissima pattern called Firestarter , its a very effective pattern and looks great .
My sister is considering some lovely patterns by Wendy Johnson , who appears to favour knitting socks toe-up having written a whole book of toe-up patterns!
For those of you on Ravelry , I believe there are one or two free Wendy Johnson patterns , one in particular that comes to mind is Rivulets, a lovely lacy design .
I guess its time to finish off some WIP's before I start these socks - then again maybe not!

No comments: